Skip to content

How to Turn On Automatic Captions for Instagram Stories

Automatic Captions for Instagram Stories

It’s finally happening! Instagram is testing an all-new automatic captioning for Instagram Stories. The Closed Captions sticker, once clicked on, allows you to automatically transcribe and include captions on your Instagram story videos. Recently, a few content creators have gotten this new feature and have started to use it. 

Now, what does this mean for Instagram users? This means you have the chance to make your stories more accessible to your audience. In the US alone, about 13% of 12-year-olds and older have hearing loss. While according to Mediakix, only 70% of Instagram Stories are watched with the sound on—that leaves 30% which will remain incomprehensible without captions. 

It’s also important to note that this does not only benefit the personal profiles. It also means content creators, influencers, and businesses have a chance to make sure that their content is accessible and user-friendly, especially to people with disabilities. 


How to turn on and use automatic Instagram captions in your stories

Content creator and disability activist Gem Hubbard (@wheelsnoheels_) shares on an Instagram Reel how you can start using automatic captions for your Instagram Stories. 

Instagram Automatic Captions by wheelsnoheels_

Here is a step-by-step guide to getting you through it.

1. Click on Add a Story and start filming.

2. After that, click on the Sticker icon above (the one with the square face)

3. Look for the Captions sticker and click that

4. Once done, it will automatically display transcriptions of whatever’s being said on your video

5. You can further customize the captions, and choose a font style and a color to go with your content.

How to Turn On Automatic Captions for Instagram Stories

It’s quick and easy and will add a lot of value and accessibility for a lot of people with disabilities. People with hearing impairments, visual impairments, and learning disabilities now have accessible content, take part in discussions, and get more information from others. 

Alternative ways you can caption your Instagram stories

However great this might be, it’s also important to remember that Instagram is still testing out this feature. This means that the Closed Captions sticker has yet to reach most, if not all, Instagram users. Still, this doesn’t mean you can’t do anything about it. You can still make sure you are putting out accessible content to your audience. Here are a few alternatives to putting captions in your Instagram stories. 

Manually transcribe and type

The most common way to put captions in your stories is to just manually transcribe them and type them onto your video. Just choose the Text option, write down what you said in your story, and post. This can take a bit of time and effort, but it’s a direct way of making sure your Instagram story videos are accessible.

Use free transcription services for Instagram captions

You can also use a free transcription service to put captions in your Instagram stories. Some of the free transcription services use the best online audio-to-text converters which means you can expect accurate transcriptions.  If it’s a simple one-minute video, have a transcription generate automatic transcriptions for you. After that, you can simply copy and paste them into your new stories. 

Use captioning apps

If not a transcription service, captioning apps are also a great alternative. All you need to do is search for a captioning app on your phone. With this, you’ll be able to utilize speech-to-text technology and add captions to your video before you even post them on your Instagram story.  The only downside here is it can be time-consuming. You’ll need to figure out how to use the app, customize the look of the captions, correct any mistakes, and more.

This exciting new Instagram Story feature can help a lot of people. And while you don’t have the Closed Captions sticker yet, using any of these alternative methods can still achieve the same results.